Monday, March 20, 2006

The Last Train has left for TransCentral

And so, my tenure as Raw Deal UK Commissioner comes to an end. Not with a flash or a bang but with a big group hug with the guys and a small lump in my throat. It's rare that I leave something and it's even rarer that I abandon a hobby completely. However, it would appear that the competitive collectible card scene has seen the last of 'vodkashok'

It's a hard decision though - and one that I might well address again later. I played for the first time in ages on Sunday and it took me a while to get back into the swing of it...and then I remembered that I really REALLY enjoy playing that game. It was mesmerising - I played a game against the UK#1 Rob Maslen in the style of some of our older clashes - two defensive, recursive decks, probing for an opening. It was a lot of fun and it reminded me of the skills needed to play the game. Hell, once again Rob and I drew quite a crowd as 'the masters of recursion' plied their trade. He won, but I didn't care.

So why stop playing? Well, no matter how much I enjoy it, I still have the time issue. And now that the free-card gravy train is drying up, a money issue raises it's head as well. Added to that, I have always been a little skeptical of the people who retire from this game, only to make a short-lived 'comeback'. Not only does it seem like a rather cynical way of getting some free beers from good friends, but it also makes a mockery of the heartfelt thanks and gifts that were given on your retirement.

Whilst I have settled myself on my retirement, there is a glimmer of a possibility that I might flop cards again yet.

There is a Warcraft CCG coming after all.

N.

No comments: