Thursday, August 27, 2009

Calorific Deficit

No, its not a new way of saying 'recession'!

I went to see the dietician today and had a very pleasant chat about the eating side of my new weight loss lifestyle. The slip into said lifestyle has been staged, starting with attendence at the gym last week and now this. I am now officially 'undergoing lifestyle change'. Exciting!

We very quickly honed in on a couple of personality traits that were crucial to the entire exercise. For a start, I am much better at not doing things than doing things. For example, I stopped drinking beer overnight. No worries whatsoever. My pledge to keep the garden tackled this year has been less successful. I'm also a 'hungry' eater. When I get bored, I get hungry and I eat. Interesting.

So, did I get a diet? No - they don't do that nowadays. Especially not with people who already have a decent idea of whats 'good' and whats 'bad'. Also, I have quite an advantage (apparently) because my weight has been static for some time (around 167kg). No, you don't get a diet - you get a 'calorific deficit plan'

Now I knew that this woman understood me when she quoted the law of conservation of energy at me! If my weight is constant, then the exercise and eating I am doing NOW is in equilibrium. To lose weight, I have to alter that equilibrium. She used words like 'equilibrium' - love it!

So, for example, the gym exercise attacks the calorific deficit from one direction. I burn off calories. It doesn't really matter how many - the point is that I am doing it (and it won't be doing my blood pressure any harm either). If I have four slices of toast in the morning and cut down to two? BAM! 200 calories saved. Replace a chocolate bar with an apple? BAM! 200 calories saved.

My target is a 600 calorie deficit each day.

There was other stuff - reducing portion size, eating much more fruit and veg (especially veg, real veg, not potatoes!) and switching to low Glycemic Index carbs to help with my hunger pangs - but the entire thing revolves around that simple calorific deficit business. Eating the right foods, in sensible quantities and less of them than I usually do!

On the drugs side of things, it looks like my BP is *slightly* too high for the appetite suppressant - which I am not too keen on in the first place as it is a 'head drug' rather than a body drug. The anti-fat absorbant one looks more likely, but I am going to go 'naturale' from now on!

We shall see what we shall see. I'm determined to make it happen and well, as it is me NOT DOING things, rather than actively doing them, it might just work!

Neil

2 comments:

Fandomlife said...

It's a one in a million chance but it might just work.

There, I've said it, it will now work!

Vodkashok said...

Cheers!

First positive example: Usual breakfast - two bagels with cheese, ham and sweet chili sauce, can of Diet Pepsi

New breakfast: Bowl of porridge (no sugar) with cinnamon, nutmeg and grated ginger and an apple, glass of water

That is a switch away from caffinated drinks and a move from a high GI carb to a low GI card and a reduction in sucrose sugars to fructose ... which should in theory work!

I'm lucky that I have a cupboard full of herbs, spices and other what-nots to taste up some of the more dreary alternatives. Later today I have to go vegetable shopping in Newcastle Market. That will be ... interesting!